[Openmcl-devel] *initial-process* and *current-process*

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jun 23 16:14:27 PDT 2011

SAVE-APPLICATION basically just writes the contents of the lisp heap
to a file where it can (conceptually) be read back in.  It's more
complicated in some of its details, but that's not an unreasonable
model of what it does.

You might (in some way) be able to define what it would mean to
save dynamic thread state (stacks, etc.) so that it could be restored
when the image started up - so that in some way threads were preserved
and could sort of resume what they were doing when SAVE-APPLICATION
was called.  I've never been able to figure out just what it'd mean
for a thread to (dynamically) survive across sessions.  (If anyone
could figure out what that means and how to implement it, I can sort
of imagine that it might be useful.)

CCL's SAVE-APPLICATION avoids the issue (of saving thread state) completely:
it basically causes the initial thread to reset itself and try to shut down
all other threads in a (hopefully) orderly manner (running UNWIND-PROTECT
cleanup forms and undoing dynamic bindings).  The code that runs at this
point is doing essentially what's done when CCL:QUIT is called; the only
real difference between SAVE-APPLICATION and QUIT is that SAVE-APPLICATION
arranges to write the contents of the lisp heap to a file as the last
thing it does before exiting.  That last act occurs in an environment
where there are no threads but the initial thread and no lisp code is
running.

A dynamic binding (a binding of a special variable via
LET/LAMBDA/PROGV/etc) is inherently thread-local.  SAVE-APPLICATION
basically runs in a single-threaded environment; starting up with that
saved image basically starts up in a roughly equivalent single-threaded
environment; the "toplevel function" specified/defaulted in the call
to SAVE-APPLICATION might create new threads (that might be functionally
similar to the threads that existed when the image was saved.)  Those
new threads won't have the "same" dynamic bindings in effect that the