[Openmcl-devel] *initial-process* and *current-process*

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Jun 23 20:03:02 PDT 2011

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
>>

>>> I am not doubting you. ?All I can tell you is that the application works
>>> pretty
>>> well with CCL-1.4 and onwards except recent CCL-1.7-dev ?Unfortunately,
>>> I did not record the SVN revision before making the update. ?I tried
>>> bissection
>>> but the trunk seems to be unbuildable on x86-64 for a long time, so my
>>> efforts were non-conclusive.
>>>

>> An automated process tries to build and test the trunk CCL on a pretty
>> regular basis; I spent most of yesterday alternately building it and
>> breaking it, and that automated process screamed hysterically every
>> time I broke it and I didn't sleep until it stopped screaming.
>>
>> I can't guess why you'd say "the trunk seems to be unbuildable on x86-64
>> for a long time." ?Do you think that this is:
>>
>> - generally true, and you're the only person ?to notice ?
>> - possibly due to some local issue that only affects you but which remains
>> ?a mystery to everyone else ?
>
> I am reporting facts about build failures on several machines (all
> x86-64 and windows 64)
> I have access to.  I can only report on things I see; I cannot
> speculate on things
> others don't see. So, the answer is -- I guess -- none of the above.

Whatever is keeping the 64-bit CCL from building for you on some Windows 7
boxes won't likely get fixed if no one who could fix it knows about it.
I now know that the problem that you're seeing occurs on Windows 7; that's
a little more information than I had an hour ago, but it'd be really helpful
to have more.

I don't think that the fact that you're experiencing a problem is a mirage;
it is a mystery (to me) because I don't know anything about that problem.
How would I know why the build has been failing for you, apparently for
a long time ?  (Until sometime in the last day or so, I didn't know that
it was failing for you or anyone else.  How would I know that ?)

> If you are interested in the build failures (to be clear, I can build
> CCL again from trunk
> on x86-64, but build on Windows 7 64-bit fails) I can supply more
> evidence.  However, I
> would not want to distract you if you believe it must be local mirage.
> As, I said I can
> report on things I see.

It's in everyone's interest for CCL to run as well as possible on all of
the platforms that it's supposed to run on.  (Even as we speak, a wealthy
industrialist may be waving a fistful of cash around, saying "if only there
was a well supported CL implementation that ran on Win64, I'd be able to
pay the company that develops and supports it to ensure that it meets my
needs."  Maybe not, but we (Clozure) have some real motivation to maintain
CCL.)

The trunk will sometimes fail to build (for a few hours, sometimes for a few
days.)  Sometimes this is semi-intentional (when a pervasive change is being
bootstrapped) and that's announced on this list.  If the trunk fails to build
for you for a long period of time, then that's anomalous and it would be useful
(presumably to you, certainly to us, likely to other users) for you to report
that in as much detail as possible.

Please do