[Openmcl-devel] Incompatibility with Xcode 4?

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Tue Mar 15 17:40:08 PDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 6:38 PM, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2011, at 17:10, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
>
>> wow, that seems premature.
>>
>> Any suggested workaround?
>
> XCode 4 is not free as best I can tell - I have a developer login but not a paid one, and it wants me to join some developer program which costs money, so I can download it.  It would be interesting to know whether there will be any no-cost development environment from Apple for 10.7: I suspect there will not be.

I have heard it suggested that Apple's interpretation of accounting
rules requires them to charge for Xcode 4 (like they have charged in
the past for iPod touch upgrades, an 802.11n firmware upgrade, etc.).

If this is true, then perhaps Xcode 4 will become free to download
(as Xcode 3.2.x currently is) after Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is released
later this year (or at least be free for Lion users).

One can hope, I suppose, though I'm not exactly sanguine about the
prospect of this outcome.