[Openmcl-devel] llvm backend

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 28 15:14:50 PDT 2011

If I wasn't clear:

Suppose that we have some sort of specialized processor that can do
(for the sake of argument) matrix multiplication really quickly.  I
can imagine that it's possible and useful to compile:

(defun multiply-matrices (a b result)
   (declare (type (simple-array ...) a b result))
   (%multiply-matrices a b result))

into a few native instructions for that processor and to download
that code and a few matrices into that procesor, cause the procesor
to execute that code with the right arguments, and obtain the result.

If we instead have:

(defun multiply-matrices (a b &optional (result (make-array ...)))
   (%multiply-matrices a b result)
   result)

then I'm arguing that implementing MAKE-ARRAY natively may be much,
much harder than exploiting the machine's ability to do fast
arithmetic on vectors/matrices, and implementing MAKE-ARRAY on a GPU
may be disproportionately harder than implementing it on a more general
CPU generally is.

It's possible that things like OpenCL make this sort of thing easier
than doing it on the bare metal would be; it's also possible that those
things just get in the way.  I think that it's fair to say that a GPU -
which may be extraordinarily good at certain things - may offer pretty
limited support (at the hardware level, at whatever level corresponds
to system software) for other things.

This is probably veering off into obscurity (it may have already
veered) and I'm not sure that I can express these concerns more
clearly.  Those concerns don't really apply to things like Randall's
FPC code; the typical FPU and CPU are much more closely coupled than
a GPU and CPU are, and we don't have to puzzle over questions like
"how to implement MAKE-ARRAY using nothing but the FPU."