[Openmcl-devel] llvm backend

Jason E. Aten j.e.aten at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:10:21 PDT 2011

Thank you Dan.  I've always been impressed with Gambit, but I guess it
hadn't really penetrated my skull that Marc was using C as his target. I'll
chek it out again, and see if I can find his Reno talk. I saw some good
slides on his webpages before.

>From what I've heard about GHC, some later news (May 2010) announced that
David Terei actually did implement an LLVM backend as a honors thesis. As a
part of it, Chris Lattner and the LLVM group agreed to implement a specific
optimization in LLVM that the Haskell folks needed to make their code fast.
As a result I think the LLVM backend is now 10-30% faster than GHC.
Apparently it ships standard as an option as of ghc 7.0.

Don Stewart talks about it
http://donsbot.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/smoking-fast-haskell-code-using-ghcs-new-llvm-codegen/

David did a writeup on it here
http://blog.llvm.org/2010/05/glasgow-haskell-compiler-and-llvm.html