[Openmcl-devel] Advice needed to debug shared library problem

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Wed Mar 30 08:57:52 PDT 2011

Gary Byers wrote:

> On Linux, the change to the Makefile(s) seems to be enough: it's OK
> to have symbols exported from the kernel, but we want a library that
> references some symbol to look everywhere else (but the kernel) first.
>
> Having exported symbols in the kernel is useful for debugging; it
> allows the kernel debugger to identify a foreign PC value as 'foo+n',
> where 'foo' is the nearest preceding (external, IIRC) symbol.

I wonder why instead of fooling with linker flags (which may
easily fail if sombody needs different way of linking) you do
not take the obvoius approach of renaming offending symbol
using apropriate prefix.

BTW: The same (even more) applies to the library in question:
in C public symbol "create_stack" (without a prefix) is a disaster
waiting to happen.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl