[Openmcl-devel] ClozureCL on iPhone

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Tue Nov 1 06:37:07 PDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 4:17 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Andrew Shalit wrote:
>
>> 4. We could write a CCL development environment that runs on
>> jailbroken iOS devices and supports delivery on non-jailbroken
>> devices.  This is legal, but it's not reliable and Apple would
>> likely frown on it.
>

> I haven't actually jailbroken an iDevice in a year or so.  I never experienced
> any reliability problems that were related to jailbreaking and haven't heard
> of any (to the extent that I've tried to follow things) in the last year.

By "unreliable" I meant that you're dependent on the jailbreak community finding a new exploit every time a new version of iOS is released.  That's a dependency some people/organizations won't be comfortable with.

> Some people may care whether or not Apple would frown at them if they
> jailbroke their devices.  I personally like to frown at such people, but
> have to confess that all of this frowning doesn't seem to affect much of
> anything.

By "frown" I meant "refuse to publish in the App Store any application created with it."  We just don't know.