[Openmcl-devel] ClozureCL on iPhone

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Wed Nov 2 05:28:00 PDT 2011

What you're asking for is a cross-compiler and cross-dumper.

When CCL is running on a Macintosh with an Intel processor, the compiler produces code for the Macintosh and Intel processor.  You want the compiler to have a special mode where it can create iOS ARM code even though it is running on a Macintosh.

Furthermore, the process of creating a Lisp program almost always involves the creation of initial datastructures, which then get dumped out.  These initial datastructures are created by running Lisp code.  So you'd want to be able to run Lisp code on the Macintosh (or whatever) that would somehow create data structures suitable for the iOS ARM.  That's just not the way most Lisps (including CCL) work.

This is all technically possible, but it would be a lot of work.