[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Scott L. Burson Scott at sympoiesis.com
Sat Nov 5 19:50:48 PDT 2011

I'm going to offer a contrary view.  I think Apple is doing exactly
the right thing.  The App Store is not for developers or sophisticated
users; it's for unsophisticated users who want to know they can trust
what they're buying.  Users can still download and install apps in the
traditional way, and those apps are not subject to the constraints;
users who do that are on their own.

For certain kinds of apps, it's true, it will be a great advantage to
be in the App Store.  But if your app does things that necessarily
can't be done in a sandbox -- for example, if it's a programming
environment -- you needn't worry about this, as no one else can sell
that kind of app in the App Store either.

I suppose people are worried that at some point Apple will make MacOS
like iOS in that you wouldn't be able to install apps any other way
than the App Store, unless you jailbreak the machine, voiding the
warranty.  I agree it would be very bad if that happened, but I don't
see how it can -- there would be a massive power-user revolt.

Existing App Store app developers may be somewhat screwed, it's true.
But the price of access to that sales channel is that you have to live
by Apple's rules.

-- Scott