[Openmcl-devel] Apple To Require Sandboxing For Mac App Store Apps - Slashdot

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Mon Nov 7 11:49:49 PST 2011

On 7 Nov 2011, at 15:53, Tom Emerson <tremerson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by the question: the whole point of the sandbox is to minimize the detrimental impact of a rogue third-party application on a user's computer. Presumably there is an implicit trust between Apple and its users (i.e., I trust that Apple-authored software is not going to install a virus or otherwise attempt to steal information) that does not exist with third parties.

That's one purpose.  Another, and probably more common, purpose is to handle the case where a well-meaning but not bug-free application gets handed something toxic which causes it, in turn, to do something bad.  That, of course, is a very common problem indeed, and probably what is driving sandboxing.  I may trust Apple to be well-meaning: I certainly don't trust their code to be bug-free, any more than I trust anyone's.

As I said before: what they need is a rating / classification system which will let you understand what privileges an application will be given.