[Openmcl-devel] relaunching CCL IDE on Windows problems

Alexander Repenning ralex at cs.colorado.edu
Wed Nov 16 19:48:30 PST 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 6:42 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> If you tried to pursue option 3, I think that that'd be less attractive.
> It's conceptually straightforward to say "find all OS processes that have
> the same name as the current OS process but different process identifiers
> and kill them", but it's harder to believe that that's a good idea.  (Why
> would you want to kill a copy of CCL that's running in Emacs ?  Why should
> a healthy instance of your application die so that you should live ?  Does
> this other process named "wx86cl.exe" have anything to do with CCL ?)

I suspect you are right about Cocotron being the main problem by not dealing the right way with starting a new copy of Cocotron. We will test this. Meanwhile, I think option 3 is not that unattractive. Our typical CCL app user would not be very likely to use any other CCL based app including Emacs. Also, we could, and probably should, rename "wx86cl.exe" to <ourapp>.exe This would minimize the risk of terminating the wrong process. There may be cases where running multiple copies of ourapp would be useful but this would probably require fixing Cocotron.

Is there some some simple way to "find all OS processes that have the same name as the current OS process but different process identifiers and kill them" using some already existing set of handy CCL process related functions or will this require the call of straight Win32 functions?

Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department