[Openmcl-devel] Clozure/Lisp newbie question

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Apr 10 03:20:12 PDT 2012

Gerry Weaver <gerryw at compvia.com> writes:

> I have been playing around with the IDE for the Mac. I like it a
> lot. I would like to use it as my main dev tool. I'm wondering how
> portable Clozure Lisp code is between Mac OSX and Linux. I assume if I
> were to refrain from using anything Mac specific it should be fairly
> portable. Is this a true statement?

It is very portable.  But you have to learn to distinguish conforming
Common Lisp code from implementation specific behavior and packages.
There are a lot of "portability" libraries, which offer a common layer
above the various implementation specific packages (sockets, threads,
pathnames, etc).

Furthermore, while this will require some work, there's GNUstep on Linux
(and IIRC on MS-Windows), so that you could be able to even use Cocoa,
and port the application to Linux with GNUstep.

Check http://cliki.net/