[Openmcl-devel] Preliminary Debian packaging for Clozure Common Lisp (ccl.clozure.com)

Faheem Mitha faheem at faheem.info
Sun Aug 19 06:55:11 PDT 2012

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Christoph Egger wrote:

> Hi again
>
> Faheem Mitha <faheem at faheem.info> writes:

>> Could one just use upstream binaries instead? CCL has upstream
>> binaries available, which I use to initially build my Debian package,
>> for at least i386 and amd64. My package currently does not attempt to
>> build on any other architecture, because I can't test it.
>
>  Jep that'll work you just need to provide the sponsor with enough
> information to bootstrap the package with binaries from a sane enough
> source (and I'd consider upstream such a source). Best to add this
> information to debian/README.source IMHO.

Yes, I've done that. The README.source is now quite extensive. See
https://bitbucket.org/faheem/ccl-debian/src/tip/README.source

>>>  I guess bootstrapping only needs to be done once and later versions of
>>> ccl can be built using the version that is then included in Debian?

>> Well this is precisely my question to the CCL developers. So far, I
>> have not got a response. See the thread
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.openmcl.devel/8046

>  If it's not possible to build ccl with a (slightly) older version of ccl
> it'll be pain to maintain. One can (as Peter noted in the thread) go the
> cmucl route but that'll need the maintainer (you) to do bootstrapping
> every time, the sponsor to do bootstrapping every time and for evvery
> architeccture you might want to support (as you might have noticed cmucl
> is only available on linux-i386 and not even on 64bit systems)

Agreed. Bootstrapping every time will be painful. Currently the package
only builds on i386 and amd64, since I can't test it. If the sponsor wants
it, it can easily be extended to build on other platforms, but I won't be
able to test it.

I uploaded CCL to http://mentors.debian.net/ today, and just sent out a
RFS (and CCed you).

                                                         Regards, Faheem