[Openmcl-devel] CCL/Cocoa Mountain Lion Challenges

Alexander Repenning alexander.repenning at Colorado.EDU
Fri Aug 24 16:19:37 PDT 2012

On Aug 24, 2012, at 9:07 AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> Your example leaks memory; it's not surprising that it behaves
> like it's leaking memory, is it ?

The memory leak is not surprising and could be addressed with a autorelease-pool. However, what we are seeing is very different. The memory leak makes RealMem (as observed via Activity Monitor) climb up, less than 1 MB per call. A leak to be sure, but its linear over time. When the CPU/Mem burst takes place memory is not growing linearly but is essentially EXPLODING to the point where the ALL physical system memory, e.g., 8GB, will be used up, i.e., no free system memory left,  and  CCL and sometimes even OS X itself will lock up. In other words, a single iteration of this loop will have memory go up by multiple gigabytes!

Here is an example that I am pretty sure will also reproduce this strange behavior on your Mountain Lion machine. One difference, making it a bit more similar to our real code is the use of choose-file-dialog instead of a standard alert.  We ran this on several machines using just the current version of CCL from the Mac App store (untouched). This crashed CCL (1.8.1 I believe) on every Mountain Lion machine we have. Watch CPU and RealMem of CCL closely as you keep mindlessly selecting some silly file somewhere on your disk over and over.

Is this crashing now? I really hope this is because this is driving us crazy.

___________

(defmacro IN-MAIN-THREAD (() &body body)
  (let ((thunk (gensym))
        (done (gensym))
        (result (gensym)))
    `(let ((,done nil)
           (,result nil))
       (flet ((,thunk ()
                (setq ,result (multiple-value-list (progn , at body))
                      ,done t)))
         (gui::execute-in-gui #',thunk)
         (process-wait "Main thread" #'(lambda () ,done))
         (values-list ,result)))))

(defun CRASH-ME ()
  (in-main-thread ()
    (dotimes (i 100)