[Openmcl-devel] Modal dialog problems with CCL 1.9 32/64 on Mountain Lion

Alexander Repenning alexander.repenning at Colorado.EDU
Wed Aug 29 12:13:22 PDT 2012

On Aug 28, 2012, at 3:08 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> One of the worst aspects of bugs where things get freed prematurely is
> that the worst symptoms of those bugs may only appear if and when the
> freed memory is reallocated, and when and whether that happens tends
> to be dependent on lots of subtle little things.  That in turn can
> mean that different people see different results and different OS releases seem to behave differently for mysterious reasons.

We certainly get our share of mysterious things that appear to happen . I wonder if this is connected to the CCL Mountain Lion Memory surge issue. We can create new threads, thousands of them, no problem, but then adding some AppKit calls, e.g., modal dialogs such as file choosers will result in problems. It also does appear that the chance of the surge happening goes up with time. Never crashes the first time.

Alex

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department