[Openmcl-devel] Generating a warning when loading fasls with duplicate function definitions

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Jul 13 13:42:53 PDT 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> We've actually warned about duplicate definitions in the same file
> for a few years now.  http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/10942 is
> when that feature came into the trunk.  I find that this warning is
> usually more helpful than annoying.

Geez. If you fall asleep around here you miss everything.

One property of that change is that duplicate definitions in multiple
files are detected at compile-time when WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT is
in effect; if "home:a.lisp" and "home:b.lisp" both define FOO, then:

? (with-compilation-unit ()
   (compile-file "home:a")
   (compile-file "home:b"))
;Compiler warnings for "home:b.lisp.newest" :
;   In an anonymous lambda form at position 0: Duplicate definitions of FOO, in this file and in "home:a.lisp.newest"