[Openmcl-devel] Debian packaging for CCL

Raymond Wiker rwiker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 05:39:49 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Tim Bradshaw <tfb at tfeb.org> wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2012, at 06:09, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>
> > However, using just the sources as you have listed them, then raises
> > the question - what compiler do I use to build with - do I use the
> > binary packaged version of CCL in debian to build the source for
> > itself? That seems a little weird.
>
> Isn't this just the standard bootstrap problem with any system which
> builds itself?  If so, then the answer from the packaging perspective would
> be to look at how other things which expect to build themselves get built.
>  gcc would be the canonical example I suppose.  I've never even looked at
> how gcc is packaged, but the build process is (or used to be): build
> initial compiler with the system's compiler; use that compiler to build a
> stage 2 compiler, use the stage 2 compiler to build a stage 3 compiler
> which should be identical to the stage 2 version.

It looks like you need a source package as well as a binary package; use
the binary package to build from the source package, and release a new
binary package whenever that is required. That means that the source
package should have a dependency on the binary package - I don't know how
that is handled in Debian.