[Openmcl-devel] Debian packaging for CCL

Faheem Mitha faheem at faheem.info
Mon Jul 23 15:22:11 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:11 AM, Faheem Mitha wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:43:53 -0400, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at clozure.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding source code, I believe that many programmers find it
>>> helpful to have the source code of the lisp implementation around,
>>> too.  This way, you can M-. right into the source code of
>>> with-open-file (or whatever).
>>
>> Can someone tell me which files in the CCL source repository are
>> considered to be source code? I want a comprehensive list, which I can
>> use to construct a ccl-source package. Thanks.
>
> svn export http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/trunk/source
>
> will get you the complete sources for trunk CCL.  This won't include
> the interface databases or bootstrapping binaries needed to compile
> the sources.
>
> You'd use a similar path for the release branch:
>
> svn export http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/release/1.8/source
>
> The source directory takes up about 29 megabytes of space, and this
> includes some sub-directories that might not be not that useful
> for Linux (e.g., cocoa-ide).

For the purposes of

"This way, you can M-. right into the source code of with-open-file (or
whatever)."

how much of the source checkout is actually necessary? This code will live
in its own Debian package.

Specifically, I assume the following directories are not necessary:
scripts, doc, examples, cocoa-ide, lisp-kernel (lisp kernel is all C code,
as far as I can tell)

There are a bunch of arch-specific directories, which would not be used
except on that platform, e.g. compiler/ARM, but it would be complicated to
delete those.

Is there anything else I should remove?

Also, if I could have a simple CL program that drops into the sources,
that would help me with testing. Thanks.

                                                       Regards, Faheem