[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Mar 4 03:23:25 PST 2012

On 4 Mar 2012, at 07:23, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> On POSIX systems, I would like the defaults (*default-external-format*
> *default-file-character-encoding* *default-socket-character-encoding*)
> to be what is specified by the environment variables LC_ALL, or else
> LC_CTYPE, or else LANG, or else LANGUAGE (the latest being a GNU
> extension, I wonder why).  See http://clisp.org/impnotes/clisp.html
> (search: environment variables).

Do you understand how the encoding should depend on the locale variables, as I've never been able to work that out (and the CLISP documentation doesn't say how they work it out).  This isn't a rhetorical question: I'd like to know.  Feel free to mail me privately if you have any pointers, as this might be off-topic for the list.

--tim