[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Antony lisp.linux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 05:31:52 PST 2012

On 3/4/2012 5:53 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> In reading some of the messages in this thread, I'm not sure that some
> of the
> people arguing in favor of this change are even aware of the fact that
> there
> are some costs associated with it, and may assume that my reluctance
> to make

Don't know where this should fit in -
shouldn't there be separate specials for controlling "source file" (for
a set of functions such as load-file)
default encoding versus the general external encoding.
I'd think then making the source encoding utf-8 would be fine
(ostensibly the user will compile the code in dev and fix it).
Taking source file encoding from environment in these days of free
source libs seems rather silly.
Any other data should be user problem even if there is a helpful default
encoding that is taken from environment.

-Antony