[Openmcl-devel] *default-character-encoding* should be :utf-8

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Mar 6 03:22:09 PST 2012

Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> writes:

>> ...  Sheesh.  It's almost as if these people live in the real world or something.
>
> Those don't sound like real-world concerns to me.  To the contrary,
> those sound more like the concerns of people who want to cling to the
> belief that it's still the 20th century, and OS 9 is still a viable
> operating system.

In the real world, yesterday I tried to compile my sources (all utf-8)
with ECL 12.2.1, and while it's able to perfectly well read source files
encoded in utf-8, it has a bug in that it generates its .fas and .o in
iso-8859-1 but tries to read them back as utf-8.  "Fun" ensue.

I would have been better of, if I could have kept the few files with
accented letters in iso-8859-1, and if implementations were able to read
each file in its own encoding (eg. watching for the -*- coding -*-).

Right now, I can't use ECL.   Yes, of course, bugs must be corrected.
In a perfect world they would be instantaneously.  But in the real world…