[Openmcl-devel] 1.8 prerelease

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 12 09:25:44 PDT 2012

Anyone interested in this might want to try the following experiment
(on Lion):

- run Apple's X11 server (in /Applications/Utilities/X11.app).  In the xterm
terminal emulator that gets started by default, cd to the CCL directory  and
then type the relative pathname of the AltConsole executable at the shell
prompt (shown as $ below):

$ ./Clozure\ CL64.app/Contents/Resources/AltConsole.app/Contents/MacOS/AltConsole

Nothing obvious will happen after you press the return key. Type a few random
characters followed by the return key.  The AltConsole application should start
and display the random characters you typed above in its window.

You can kill the AltConsole app by typing a ctrl-c in the xterm window, and
quit the X11 server.

- repeat the exercise using a shell in a Terminal.app window.

What I see is that when run under X11, the AltConsole program behaves
as expected; when run from Terminal, it behaves as it does when the
CCL IDE starts it (when it tries to activate after receiving input, it
hangs until one clicks on its Dock icon.)  That certainly looks like a
bug to me, though I don't know exactly how to characterize it.  (It
could also somehow be part of Apple's ongoing effort to protect us
from the evils of software that they don't make money on.)

I confess that that's about as far as I've gotten with this, in some
large part because I personally find Lion extremely unpleasant to use.
I've tried to get over that by noting that Lion simply is what it is,
but the fact that it's such a big steaming pile of what it is doesn't
seem to help much.