[Openmcl-devel] Semaphore troubles

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu May 10 12:28:36 PDT 2012

If anyone feels like testing a slightly different version of the patch ...

The current definition of CCL::%NANOSLEEP in ccl/level-1/l1-lisp-threads.lisp
looks like:

#-windows-target
(defun %nanosleep (seconds nanoseconds)
   (with-process-whostate ("Sleep")
     (rlet ((a :timespec)
            (b :timespec))
       (setf (pref a :timespec.tv_sec) seconds
             (pref a :timespec.tv_nsec) nanoseconds)
       (let* ((aptr a)
              (bptr b))
         (loop
           (let* ((result
                   (external-call #+darwin-target "_nanosleep"
                                  #-darwin-target "nanosleep"
                                  :address aptr
                                  :address bptr
                                  :signed-fullword)))
             (declare (type (signed-byte 32) result))
             (if (and (< result 0)
                      (eql (%get-errno) (- #$EINTR)))
               ;; x86-64 Leopard bug.
               (let* ((asec (pref aptr :timespec.tv_sec))
                      (bsec (pref bptr :timespec.tv_sec)))
                 (if (and (>= bsec 0)
                          (or (< bsec asec)
                              (and (= bsec asec)
                                   (< (pref bptr :timespec.tv_nsec)
                                      (pref aptr :timespec.tv_nsec)))))
                   (psetq aptr bptr bptr aptr)
                   (return)))
               (return))))))))

(It should look like that in all relevant recent versions of CCL; the code
hasn't changed in years.)  Erik suggested replacing the LET* which follows
the comment ";; x86-64 Leopard bug" with just the PSETQ (so that we do the
PSETQ and try to sleep a little longer, unconditionally); I'm curious about
whether it would also work if we did the sanity-checking a little more
rigorously, by replacing the:

                                   (< (pref bptr :timespec.tv_nsec)
                                      (pref aptr :timespec.tv_nsec)))))

with

                                   (<= (pref bptr :timespec.tv_nsec)
                                       (pref aptr :timespec.tv_nsec)))))

As things have stood, if the "seconds" and "nanoseconds" fields in both
"a" and "b" are exactly equal, we won't go back to sleep at all (and this
could conceivably happen if we get interrupted before nanosleep goes to
sleep.)

If that change fixes the problem that James reported, I'm marginaly more
comfortable with it than I am with removing the sanity checking at all,
simply because:

  - I don't know if the bug that the sanity-checking was intended to defend
    against is still present in some supported version of OSX
  - if it is, it's really nasty.  IIRC, it was present in pre-releases of
    10.5, I reported it to Apple (and I think that my bug report was marked
    as a duplicate), it wasn't fixed in the final 10.5, and ... that was
    5 years ago and I don't know what's happened since.

Thanks.