[Openmcl-devel] Coroutines/lightweight threads

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Nov 12 22:57:12 PST 2012

I've heard some people express interest before; I'd say that the interest
seemed to be low-to-moderate, but non-zero.  When it's come up, I think that
my first reaction to hearing someone say "I want cooperative threads" is to
say "no, you don't", but I may be failing to consider all aspects of the issue.

One approach to layering cooperative threads on top of native threads is to
use some kind of object very much like a lock; a cooperative thread is just
a (native) thread that waits for that lock before doing anything, and yelding
to another (unspecified) coooperative thread basically involves releasing that
lock and then waiting to obtain it again.

? (defvar *the-cooperative-thread-lock* (make-lock))
*THE-COOPERATIVE-THREAD-LOCK*
? (defun yin () (loop (with-lock-grabbed (*the-cooperative-thread-lock*) (print "Yin!")) (sleep 1)))
YIN
? (defun yang () (loop (with-lock-grabbed (*the-cooperative-thread-lock*) (print "Yang!")) (sleep 1)))
YANG
? (progn (process-run-function "yin" #'yin) (process-run-function "yang" #'yang))

Yow.  Are we COROUTINING yet ?

That's a bit of a rhetorical question: the old stack-groups API that Scott
referred to is a little richer than that and provides a clean way of transferring
values between threads; that's left as an exercise.  I wrote that in terms of
WITH-LOCK-GRABBED and we might actually want to use GRAB-LOCK and RELEASE-LOCK
directly, so:

(defun yield-to-any-cooperative-thread ()
  (release-lock *the-cooperative-thread-lock*)
  (grab-lock *the-cooperative-thread-lock*))

That's almost suspiciously simple, but it's almost exactly what Apple did to
implement traditional cooperative threads in Carbon; there are some classic
problems for which coroutines provide a natural solution, and the mechanism
above (augmented with some means of transferring values around) is probably
adequate to address many such problems (Google for "samefringe problem" if
you're looking for an example.)

If we have problems for which we need more than two cooperative threads,
then we may need to say "yield to some specific other cooperative thread",
and that would be something like:

(defun yield-to-specific-cooperative-thread (other-guy)
  (release-lock-and-transfer-ownership-to *the-cooperative-thread-lock* other-guy)
  (grab-lock *the-cooperative-thread-lock*))

and the functionality that I'm calling RELEASE-LOCK-AND-TRANSFER-OWNERSHIP-TO
doesn't exist in CCL and is a bit hard to implement reliably.  (CCL locks
generally don't keep track of which threads are waiting for them and a thread
that's waiting for a lock can abandon that wait - via PROCESS-INTERRUPT - whenever
it wants to, so the global lock in my example above may be something a little
different from a CCL lock.)

I haven't needed to solve the SAMEFRINGE problem elegantly in a long
time and when I hear terms like "a blocking wrapper around
non-blocking I/O" I wonder if or how that differs from things like
#_select or #_poll.  I'm willing to believe that there could be cases
where coroutines (the ability to control the scheduling of a small
number of threads relative to each other) could be useful,  but I think
that that could be provided by fleshing out the interface that's sketched
above.

Lisp implememtations that provide(d) cooperative threads (I don't know
of any implementations that still do so) typically provided a "lisp
scheduler" on top of what I described above; that layer generally
tried to do some sort of periodic preemption (so that a thread that
hadn't yielded in a while was made to do so) and that layer was
effectively spread all over the implementation (so that blocking
operations were replaced with code which combined yielding and polling.)
I would not want to see that kind of code reappear and if anyone's
saying that they want that, I'm still very much at the "no, you don't"
stage.