[Openmcl-devel] How to debug?

Pascal J. Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Thu Nov 22 11:55:36 PST 2012

Ralph Möritz <ralph.moeritz at outlook.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to debug a fairly complex library and would just like to
> ask for some advice on how to go about doing so. I'm used to debugging
> C++ and Go code using gdb and C# using Visual Studio, so the Common
> Lisp approach to debugging via SLIME is somewhat foreign to me. I've
> read up on BREAK and TRACE but what I really want is a way to step
> into the code in order to better understand its workings. I've read
> the CLHS page on STEP which is very vague and mentions that the
> behaviour is implementation-defined. I've tried calling STEP on some
> simple functions but it seems as though the functions are just run
> normally - am I missing some detail here?

CL:STEP is not obsolete, it's just implemented in a way that's not
useful in the current versions of ccl.

For this reason, I've developed a stepper in conforming Common Lisp,
that you can use in ccl (or in any other CL implementation, if you
prefer it over the native stepper).

See:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.lisp/nj3jFxcJYM0/QbzGkAbyAtMJ

https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/com-informatimago/trees/master/common-lisp/lisp