[Openmcl-devel] It's the world's most advanced (desktop) operating system!

Karsten Poeck karsten.poeck at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 12:58:16 PDT 2012

In article <alpine.BSF.2.00.1209081901090.80042 at abq.clozure.com>,
 Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

> I was always taught that if you can't say anything nice about an OS, it's
> best not to say anything at all.  It's certainly nice that the little test
> case described here was easy to develop and seems to behave consistently,
> and I'm sure that I could come up with other nice things to say about
> Mountain
> Lion if I tried, though it may take a while.
>
> Here's a little program that seems to demonstrate the "memory surge"
> problem that Alex Repenning has described.  It's been difficult to
> reproduce that problem for many interested parties (apparently not for
> Alex), though people have seen a similar problem with long delays on
> thread creation under Mountain Lion (as described in
> <http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1005>.  Those problems seemed to
> only affect people running 64-bit CCL and Alex said that the problems
> he's seen occur in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.  I'm about as
> sure as I can be that the problem that Alex has been seeing and ticket 1005
> are the same bug and I think that I have a reliable way of reproducing it
> (and a fix that I feel at least somewhat comfortable with.)
>
> If anyone interested in trying this could do so, that'd be helpful.  I
> expect it to cause abnormal termination of CCL when run under Mountain
> Lion and to not do so on earlier OSX relases, so it'd be interesting if
> anyone gets unexpected results.  I can't offer any reward for doing so
> beyond the Schadenfreude that may come with the realization that Mountain
> Lion's problems aren't limited to its near total lack of usability ...

On Mac OS X 10.7.4 (did not upgrade yet to Mountain lion)
karsten-poecks-macbook-pro:ccl karstenpoeck$ uname -a
Darwin karsten-poecks-macbook-pro.local 11.4.0 Darwin Kernel Version
11.4.0: Mon Apr  9 19:32:15 PDT 2012;
root:xnu-1699.26.8~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

The dotimes happily reaches the end
(load "fill-lowmem.lisp")
#P"/Users/karstenpoeck/lisp/compiler/ccl-trunk/ccl/fill-lowmem.lisp"
? (cl-user::fill-memory-holes #x0a000000)
43577344
? (cl-user::fill-malloc #x0a000000)
3468960
? (dotimes (i 100) (print i) (process-run-function "do you feel lucky?"
(lambda ())))
99

I assume this works as expected

regards