[Openmcl-devel] The AltConsole

peter p2.edoc at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 24 00:21:58 PDT 2013

At 10:40 PM -0700 13/4/23, Ron Garret wrote:
>Why does CCL use the AltConsole instead of the OSX system logging facilities?
>
>Just wondering.  I'm doing some development where I have to stop and
>restart CCL often and I end up with dozens of altconsoles in my dock.

It'd be rather useful if there was a flag that allowed background
output to be sent to the Altconsole or the OSX console log. But I
have a sense that this traffic redirection might need to be handled
explicitly in our code.

But presumably we've the altconsole so some human interaction is
possible with the CCL state which would not be possible in the
console. Hence some ignore-errors and auto continuation would be
required (which seems more appropriate anyway for some trivial errors
such as when a file is not found and the Altconsole requires a couple
of :pop(s) to continue).

For background processes that log a lot of events, I'd hope that the
performance and persistence of the OSX logging system might be
advantageous.