[Openmcl-devel] Alternative parens

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Fri Apr 26 09:53:55 PDT 2013

On my system, C-M doesn't do anything:

? (hi::get-command #k"C-M" :mode "editor")
NIL

But I'm a mouser, not an emacser, so that's not really what I care about.  What I want is matching-paren highlighting and editor-eval-sexpr to work.  Double-clicking on a close-bracket to highlight a sexpr would be nice too.

Actually, what I *really* want is not to use brackets as parens (though that would be nice too) but for «balanced quotes» to work.  I have reader macros for balanced quotes that do the Right Thing.  I use them to embed code written in other languages, mainly Javascript.  This way, if there is a double quote in the embedded string I don't have to escape it.  The problem is that if there's a semicolon in the embedded string, Hemlock treats it as a Lisp comment because it doesn't know it's inside a string.  If there's an unbalanced paren after the semicolon, that throws off paren matching, e.g.:

(defvar *js-template* «

var s = "foo";  // Using balanced quotes means you don't need to escape double quotes in the embedded string
function foo() {
  for (var i=1; i<10; i++) ...;   // Hemlock misinterprets on this line and screws up syntax highlighting
}

»)

Here's the balanced quote reader code in case you want to play around with this:

(defun make-string-reader (c1 c2)
  (lambda (stream c)
    (declare (ignore c))
    (with-output-to-string (s)
      (loop for c = (read-char stream)
        with cnt = 1
        if (eql c c1) do (incf cnt)
        else if (eql c c2) do (decf cnt)
        until (and (eql c c2) (eql cnt 0))
        do (princ c s)))))

(set-macro-character #\« (make-string-reader #\« #\»))

rg