[Openmcl-devel] ns-date initializers on OSX 10.8

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Jan 6 06:08:47 PST 2013

For the terminally curious:

In 10.8, the ObjC runtime uses a 16-element table to map the low 4 bits of a tagged
instance pointer to a class.  (Only odd tag values can have entries, and when I use GDB
to look at that table in a running CCL process it looks like:

0x7fff76a4d148 <_objc_tagged_isa_table>:	0x0000000000000000	0x0000000000000000
0x7fff76a4d158 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+16>:	0x0000000000000000	0x0000000000000000
0x7fff76a4d168 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+32>:	0x0000000000000000	0x0000000000000000
0x7fff76a4d178 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+48>:	0x0000000000000000	0x00007fff75642eb0
0x7fff76a4d188 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+64>:	0x0000000000000000	0x00007fff756434c8
0x7fff76a4d198 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+80>:	0x0000000000000000	0x0000000000000000
0x7fff76a4d1a8 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+96>:	0x0000000000000000	0x00007fff756434c8
0x7fff76a4d1b8 <_objc_tagged_isa_table+112>:	0x0000000000000000	0x0000000000000000
(gdb) po 0x00007fff75642eb0
__NSCFNumber
(gdb) po 0x00007fff756434c8
__NSTaggedDate
(gdb)

__NSCFNumber and __NSTaggedDate are the names of private/internal subclasses of NSNumber and
NSDate, respectively.  The table is that the tag 7 is used to represent (some) instances of
__NSCFNumber and that the tags 9 and 13 are both (by luck or design) used to represent immediate
instances of __NSTaggedDate.  I have no idea why two tags are used in this case; this stuff just
doesn't look finished to me ...

If we could get our hands on that table, then it'd be straightforward to use it to determine
the class of a tagged pointer (just use the low 4 bits of the pointer as an index into the table.)
Unfortunately, the symbol "_objc_tagged_isa_table" (the symbol actually has two leading underscores)
isn't exported from libobjc.  (Yes, there are arguments against exposing too much implementation
detail, but some interface - something that maps a tag value to a class or NIL - would be useful,
and no interface at all is pretty useless.)

I said earlier that I didn't see the use of tagged NSDate instances in 10.8.2.  What I'm now
seeing is that they're used sometimes and not others: within the same lisp session, something
like (#/date ns:ns-date) sometimes returns a tagged pointer and sometimes returns a tradition
pointer (with 0 tag bits).  I have no idea why this is, either.

Since 10.8, it seems to be the case that there are reliable ways of creating an immediate/tagged
NSNumber instance; specifically

(#/initWithInt: (#/alloc ns:ns-number) 0)

returns a pointer whose low 4 bits are non-zero.  Startup code that runs when the bridge is loaded
(and whenever a saved image that contains that code is loaded) (re-)initializes an alist that maps
from ObjC tag values to infornation about the ObjC class that uses those tag bits to represent at
least some of its instances.  This happens in the "(defloadvar *tagged-instance-class-indices* ..."
form in "ccl:objc-bridge;objc-support.lisp", and the effect of that code is to initialize
the alist CCL::*TAGGED-INSTANCE-CLASS-INDICES* so that it contains an entry for at most one
tag value (the tag of NSNumber instances that were created with the #/initWithInt: call above.)

If we could reliably create a tagged NSDate instance, we could repeat that process and create
another entry on that alist.  I don't know how to do that reliably: sometimes I see tagged instances
and sometimes I see traditional aligned pointers.

If you need a short-term workaround so that tagged ObjC pointers will be recognized by the type
system, code like the following (which is mostly stolen from the DEFLOADVAR form above) should
enable that:

;;; This is all in the CCL package.
(defun setup-class-info-for-tagged-instance (instance)
   ;; "instance" is a pointer known to be an ObjC instance that isn't recognized as an ObjC
   ;; object, presumably because its address has some of its low 4 bits set.
   (let* ((tag (tagged-objc-instance-p instance)))
     (when tag
       ;; We should only bother with this if tag isn't already on the alist
       (let* ((class (objc-message-send instance "class")))
         (unless (%null-ptr-p class)
          (install-foreign-objc-class class nil)
          (push (cons tag (objc-class-or-private-class-id class)) *tagged-instance-class-indices)))))
))

That's pretty horrible, but may get you unwedged.

Note that when dealing with MACPTRs, the type system tries to cache type information in the pointer
itself; the code above might only get called if the system has decided that the pointer is just
a generic pointer (and not an ObjC object) and cached that information.  One workaround would be
make the code above return a copy of its "instance" argument via something like:

(%inc-ptr instance 0)

or

(%int-to-ptr (%ptr-to-int instance))

The copy wouldn't have any cached type info, so the type system would try to determine that
info and should be influenced by the new alist entry.