[Openmcl-devel] trunk bootstrapping

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jan 28 11:36:18 PST 2013

The dust should be (mostly) settled; there are new binaries for all x86
platforms and for ARM Linux in the trunk svn.  (We still support PPC
Linux, but the only PPC Linux machine that we have is incredibly slow;
if you still use CCL on PPC Linux, you may need to wait a while for
these changes to get bootstrapped.)

There are new kernels as well as new heap images and it's necessary
to use a new kernel with a new image.  The provided kernels should run
on Darwin, Windows, and Solaris. On FreeBSD, executable programs are
generally dependent on the major OS release (the binaries I checked
in were built on FreeBSD 6.4); on Linux, executables sometimes depend
on library versions and toolchain arcana (and the kernels that I checked
in were built on an Ubuntu 12.10 system.)  The ARM kernel was built on
an ARMv7 and uses the hard-float ABI.  (Summary: it may be necessary to
build the kernel locally if the one in svn doesn't work for you.)