[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa and memory management

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Fri Jul 5 06:15:33 PDT 2013

In spite of everything that Gary said (which I certainly wouldn't dispute), it seems to me like you might be leaking memory by not releasing the ns-data instances. They just copy data from the ivictor so disposing of it should be irrelevant with respect to the ns-image object. When the ns-image is initialized it should retain the ns-data (which should have a ref count of 1 already by virtue of its allocation. So releasing the ns-image should result in releasing the ns-data, but not dealloc'ing it. I can't explain why everything goes back to a small size when you run your experiment.

You should be able to test what is going on fairly easily by creating your own subclass of ns-data for which you define a dealloc method that logs when the dealloc occurs (and calls next method as well of course).