[Openmcl-devel] Strange delayed crashes after loading storekit

Michael Minerva minerva at agentsheets.com
Mon Jun 24 09:53:11 PDT 2013

Great news! AgentCubes, our tool for the teaching and learning of
computer science built with CCL, has been approved for sale on the Mac
app store.

Sadly, an important point of integration between our App and the store
is troubled. We're attempting to integrate with the StoreKit framework
to set up an in-app purchase, and we're experiencing some very strange
crashes.

In the StoreKit framework, there is an objc object called
SKProductsRequest which is an asynchronous mechanism for getting Mac
app store product information. We have to use this object to set up
and perform in-app purchases. (get money)

We are able to alloc, init, and make use of this object seemingly
without problems. However, some time later (between 5 and 60 seconds)
the app becomes very unstable and will crash seemingly randomly. The
crashes are all related to either heavily threaded portions of the app
or mouse events.

We have spent a few days investigating these crashes, but they remain
scrutable to us, and we need your help.

We have built a test application which exhibits the crash. Could you
experience the crash for yourself, and potentially help us figure out
what's going on?

It's easy to reproduce:
1) Unzip and start the app (it will only run on Lion and Mountain Lion)
- Download from: http://agentsheets.com/temp/AgentCubes.zip
2) Enter the credentials for the app store:
- CCLSandboxTest at gmail.com
- CCLs4ndbox
3) When the app starts, you will see a simple scrolling view
4) hover over the scrolling view, and scroll your scroll wheel
- After a while (5 to 60 seconds of scrolling) the app will hang
5) Look in the OSX console
- Often times there are stack traces printed, when the app crashes in
a mouse event handler or other threaded error handler
- Sometimes nothing is printed in the console.

Thanks again for all your help. We're really looking forward to being
able to leverage the Mac app store to spread our tool. CCL has been an
absolutely great and expressive environment for us to build AgentCubes
in.