[Openmcl-devel] CCL Issue with Lion

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu May 2 17:19:38 PDT 2013

The behavior that you describe seems similar to that described in:

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10508522/nsopenpanel-doesnt-show-when-i-call-runmodal>

where the problem apparently had to do with (lack of proper)
"entitlements".  (The owner of the
appliance - quaintly referred to as the "user" in some documents - might
try to access the filesystem
on their "computer" otherwise.)

I have no idea why this would work on some systems that support
sandboxing and not on others,
but I confess that I had some difficulty parsing your message. (There's
more reason to think that
this is a Lion problem than that it's a Mountain Lion problem, but I
don't know how anyone would
know for sure.)

There's no reason to think that this is not a CCL problem. There's no
reason to think that it is a
CCL problem, either.  If a sandboxed ObjC program with exactly the same
entitlements behaved
differently, then there'd at least be some reason to wonder why Cocoa
methods called from CCL behave
differently than they do when called by that ObjC program.  My model of
things is that those Cocoa methods
don't know or care what programming language their callers were compiled
in, and I don't know of any
reason to think of that model as being incorrect.

Googling for "sandbox NSOpenPanel" indicates that many people have found
that these things don't
interact as people expect them to and as the documentation suggests that
they should, and that this
is often due to bugs in the underlying technology.   Some messages that
one can easily find via that
Google search suggest that the forums on Apple's developer site offer a
better explanation of what works
and what doesn't than one can easily find elsewhere.