[Openmcl-devel] Does CCL32 still mishandle some exceptions when running on 64bit Windows?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Oct 29 07:23:49 PDT 2013

The bug discussed in the message from last summer had to do with (as you say)
failing to distinguish between (essentially) hardware-level exceptions and
"exceptional situations" raised by various MS language runtimes.

There were a couple of attempts to fix this

<http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/15857/trunk/source/lisp-kernel/x86-exceptions.c>

tried to stop being confused by the fact that MS language runtime exceptions
had their "customer defined" bit set, and that change seemed to fix the problems
that I was seeing.

A slightly later change:

<http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/changeset/15873/trunk/source/lisp-kernel/x86-exceptions.c>

tries to detect whether or not the exception is something that CCL's exception
handler potentially could handle and lets any other handler deal with other cases.
The wx86cl.exe and wx86cl64.exe binaries in the trunk incorporate this later
change.

The class of things that CCL "could" handle (illegal instructions, memory access
faults, arithmetic errors like division by zero ...) are more likely to be handled
if the handler can detect that the thread was running lisp code when the exception
occurred; if CCL's handler can't handle an exception, it'll drop into the kernel
debugger.  (On Windows, it might make sense to try to pass the excption to any
other handlers; I don't know if C++ or .NET exception handlers can recover from
memory faults of illegal instructions or the kinds of things that CCL's handler
is interested in, but it might be more straightforward to attach a debugger in
that case.)

So: prior to the changes described above foreign code that used some MS language
runtime faclities could sometimes cause CCL's kernel debugger to report that
it couldn't handle an exception that it shouldn't have tried to handle.  There
were and still are other situations that could cause  the kernel debugger to
be entered (e.g., a memory fault or illegal instruction in foreign code), and if
you're running the current trunk such an other situaton seems like the more
likely explanation.