[Openmcl-devel] error in installing ACL2 with CCL

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Sep 2 15:39:30 PDT 2013

As far as I know:

  1) CCL doesn't spontaneously announce that a package named "GUI" doesn't
     exist ...
  2) An error to that effect might by signaled by (for instance) attempts
     to read a package-qualified symbol (GUI::FOO) in an environment where
     no package of that name exists; such an attempt might be made by
     code which tries to load or compile a file that contains such a symbol
  3) Nothing in the ACL2 build process (or in code that runs when a
     saved_acl2 starts up) attempts to compile or load such a file.

That pretty strongly suggests that the reference to the GUI package is
coming from your init file (typically ~/ccl-init.lisp).  If you have
such a file and rename it before trying to build ACL2, does the error
still occur ?  (Note that if it does, you may get the same error when
trying to run CCL from the command line; you say that that works, but
I think that some skepticism is justified.  The "GUI" package exists
in the IDE ("Clozure CL64.app") but not in the command-line executable.)

If this isn't the problem, it's hard to guess what the problem is.  It
might be easier to guess if you hadn't decided that the messages that
preceded the error message weren't important.  If you don't know whether
some information is important or not, it's almost always going to be
preferable to provide too much information than to provide too little.