[Openmcl-devel] Trying to get ASDF tests (especially uiop:run-program) on Windows (Allegro CL, CCL) cleaned up before 3.0.3 release

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:51:09 PDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com> wrote:
> CCL 1.9
> =======
>
> The second failure just looks like the extra space after the "ok 1" as we
> were seeing before. Perhaps this is also a CCL issue? Can anyone from
> Clozure comment on this?

As I mentioned before, it's a CCL bug. I filed
http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1110

> Also, I think I confirmed that CCL's ccl:run-program on Windows really does
> need the "cmd /c " prepended to be able to run a normal program.  Currently
> the uiop:run-program is doing
>
>   (cons "cmd" (strcat "/c " command))
>
> for commands given as a single string, but it does not prepend anything for
> commands given as a list. There was previous opinion that the list form of
> the command should not automatically get the ("cmd" "c/") prepended. But
> from what I can tell, the user will always have to do
>
>   (uiop:run-program (append '("cmd" "/c") command)
>
> if user wants to give command as a list. If that's the case, then for
> consistent interface of uiop:run-program across different Lisps, shouldn't
> uiop:run-program go ahead and do that appending by default?

I believe it might be a matter of searching %PATH% or not.
It's really better to have an interface that doesn't call CMD when you
don't want it called.
The price to pay may then be to have to specify a full path for the
target command.
Note that uiop:run-program already accepts a :force-shell t argument
for people who want CMD /C to be forced. (PS: definitely not tested
under Windows.)

> SBCL
> =====
>
> Sorry, I'm not running SBCL on Windows at the moment. Anyone? Get with me if
> you can use some guidance getting the ASDF test scripts running.

Last I tried, it was just a matter of expanding the zip file and
adding sbcl to your PATH and/or exporting SBCL_HOME.
I think I was using a trivial .BAT file that did that for me.

> ABCL, ECL, CLISP,  GCL (who am I forgetting?)
>
> Anyone running these on Windows and willing to run some ASDF testing scripts
> (probably through cygwin)? Get with me if you want some guidance and/or
> moral support.

CLISP and ABCL should be relatively easy to install.
ECL, I don't remember succeeding, but I might not have tried very hard.
I recommend you forget GCL for now (if not forever).

You worry too much about your job.  Stop it.  You're not paid enough to worry.