[Openmcl-devel] Setting a toplevel function for build-application

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Sep 17 09:31:52 PDT 2013

A lot of this stuff is documented somewhat murkily (I -think- that that's a word);
that's probably because much of it is implemented somewhat murkily.  Adding to
the murk is the fact that I've never used BUILD-APPLICATION (and the fact that
I'm in the middle of something else at the moment and am not using a Mac.)

The command-line CCL is "an instance of the class
CCL::LISP-DEVELOPMENT-SYSTEM", which is a subclass of the class
CCL::APPLICATION.  These classes and some methods on them are indeed
defined (mostly) in ccl:level-1;l1-application,lisp.  The phrase "a
CCL application is an instance of a class" means "in the application's
image file, the variable CCL::*APPLICATION* is an instance of a
class"; SAVE-APPLICATON takes some (tersely documented) arguments that
allow the saved image's application class to be specified.

At a fairly small number of points in its execution, a saved image
will decide what to do by invoking some method on the object that's
the value of CCL::*APPLICATION*.  One of these points is when a saved
image is first mapped into memory and some very low-level reinitialization
has occurred; at that point, the startup code does (something very like)

(ccl::toplevel-function ccl::*application*)

If ccl::*application* is an instance CCL::LISP-DEVELOPMENT-SYSTEM, that
method will create a thread and arrange to run the REPL in it, and cause
the initial thread to reset itself and spend most of its life doing
periodic "housekeeping" tasks.  (These tasks include ^C handling, GC
finalization, forcing output on some interactive streams, etc.)

If the application is a LISP-DEVELOPMENT-SYSTEM and a :TOPEVEL-FUNCTION
argument is provided to SAVE-APPLICATION, very similar things happen except
for the fact that the provided function is run instead of the CCL REPL.

If the application isn't a LISP-DEVELOPMENT-SYSTEM, it's not clear whether
the :TOPLEVEL-FUNCTION argument has a useful role.  (It may, I suppose; I'm
just not sure of what that role would be.)

If the application is a Cocoa application - an instance of the class
GUI::COCOA-IDE, which is new since the last time that I was paying attention
to any of this - its CCL::TOPLEVEL-FUNCTION method creates another thread
to do the periodic housekeeping stuff, then initializes Cocoa and runs the
Cocoa event loop.  You might be able to subclass GUI::COCOA-IDE and override
this method and do this very slightly differently, but there aren't that many
ways of doing this differently.

Cocoa also uses an application class (NSApplication) with a single global
instance of that class; like many other Cocoa objects, this instance can
have another NSObject associated with it as the instance's "delegate" object.
Most interesting events (with a small #\e) in an NSApplication's lifetime
result in methods being invoked (if they're implemented) on the NSApplication
object's delegate.

The CCL IDE uses an instance of the class LispApplicationDelegate as
the NSApplication's delegate; this class's methods are defined in
"ccl:cocoa-ide;app-delegate.lisp".   The application delegate is also
the target for a bunch of menu and other UI items. You might find it easiest to
subclass this class and override a few of its methods:

(defclass beeping-application-delegate (gui::lisp-appication-delegate)
   ()
  (:metaclass ns:+ns-object))

(objc:defmethod (#/applicationDidFinishLaunching: :void)
     ((self lisp-application-delegate) notification)
   (#_NSBeep)
   (call-next-method notication))

If you can figure out how to persuade BUILD-APPLICATION to use
BEEPING-APPLICATION-DELEGATE as you application's delegate's
class name, you're only minutes away from having an application
the beeps when it starts up.  (The thrill may wear off fairly
quickly.)