[Openmcl-devel] Trouble writing to tcp socket

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Nov 14 22:38:17 PST 2014

On 11/14/2014 09:44:35 PM, Joshua Kordani wrote:
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/144373#1
>
> Even with the annotate, I can't write out to the socket.  http-client
> returns nil, and in wireshark I see no packets on the wire.  I am
> using a netcat listener as a test server, and the read function works
> just fine, but writing does not.  I have tried this on the latest
> trunk and also on relesae 1.9, both on osx 10.7 and I get the same
> result, that is, nothing is written out on the wire as a result of
> write functions called on this stream.
>
> Am I missing something obvious or should I file a bug report?

You're missing something obvious.

FORCE-OUTPUT and FINISH-OUTPUT each take optional arguments which
specify what output stream they affect; this argument defaults to the
stream which is the value of *STANDARD-OUTPUT*, and this likely isn't
what you want.  In your example, calling either

(FORCE-OUTPUT OS)

or

(FINISH-OUTPUT OS)

will cause any data in the stream's buffers to be sent to the OS.
(There was a discussion of the differences between these functions on
this list a week or two ago; I don't want to repeat that, but I think
that in most cases FORCE-OUTPUT suffices.)

Streams in CCL are almost always fully buffered.