[Openmcl-devel] Hash Table anomaly -- hash-table-size decreases - wondering how this can happen

Glenn Iba giba at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 2 23:47:37 PST 2015

Call for help!

  I'm doing some large searches in CCL, and have been using large
hash-tables,
but I"m perplexed that the hash-table-size is getting mysteriously
decreased.
Can anyone explain how this is possible?

My speculation is that I'm exhausting the heap (though I don't get any
notification of this),
and that CCL is trying to create more heap space by shrinking my large
hash-table.
Does this sound like it could be possible?   I'd prefer to get a
notification that I'm out of space.
Is there any way to control this?

Details:
   I'm running CCL 1.10 on a Mac with OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), with 8GB RAM.
   I'm creating a single large hash-table with
         (make-hash-table :test #'equalp :size 100000000)   ;; 100,000,000
   I'm storing positions of my search space (each represented by a
byte-vector of 16 unsigned-bytes)
       in this hash-table
   For each generation, I collect all the positions in the hash-table (to
avoid duplicates).
   I then write the generation out to a file, and do CLRHASH so I can reuse
the hash-table.
   My searches reach a point (as the generation size grows) when the
hash-table-size
       decreases dramatically (from 100,000,000 to  12,396,373)  -- how is
this possible?

I'd be happy to supply code, detailed traces, and whatever other info I can
  to anyone who'd be willing to help me figure this out.

Thanks in advance!
--Glenn