[Openmcl-devel] Can't get the sample cocoa CurrencyConverter app to build or run properly

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Fri May 15 06:57:04 PDT 2015

I thought I’d point you at a rather extensive amount of contrib work that I’ve done to make it possible to build cocoa apps using CCL. You should be sure to use the most recent version possible. You can find it all in: …/ccl/contrib/cocoa-ide/krueger/InterfaceProjects. There are two documents that you might want to read (both located in the Documentation folder within that directory): “UserInterfaceTutorial.pdf" and "CCL Cocoa Developer Tools Tutorial.pdf”. Note that I have not tested anything under Yosemite, but I am unaware of anything that might cause it to stop working. There are a few other documents there as well that may be useful as you get into more advanced cocoa apps. There are several example applications. This is not necessarily an easy thing to learn, but if you already have some cocoa familiarity then my interface code should make it somewhat easier. All of this assumes that you are already running the CCL Cocoa IDE and if not, you should get that running first.

Note that my approach avoids the use of IB. I did use it in previous releases, but Apple made it practically impossible to integrate with Lisp in any reasonable way in more recent OS upgrades. Believe me, I did make the attempt. That said, I think that you’ll find that my CCL interface to the Cocoa constraint mechanism works pretty well and along with my LispController class (which plays the same roll as various Cocoa controller classes) let’s you lay out interfaces procedurally in a fairly reasonable manner. This also permits you to interactively modify an interface and see what happens rather than having to go back to IB to rebuild a new interface that would then have to be loaded into Lisp.

I went out of my way to NOT just place a completely new layer on top of Cocoa, but rather to make CCL work WITH Cocoa so that you can make direct use of Cocoa documentation and Cocoa calls without having to learn a lot of new interface calls. But Cocoa is fairly complicated, in and of itself, so my approach requires that you learn that if you have not already done so.

Good luck!