[Openmcl-devel] *echo-expression-to-listener*

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Sep 4 12:20:00 PDT 2017

I just filed this ticket:

https://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1420

Some time between version 1.10 and 1.11 the *echo-expression-to-listener* functionality of the "Editor Execute Expression" Hemlock command stopped working. This seems to be because writing to (HEMLOCK-EXT:TOP-LISTENER-OUTPUT-STREAM) inside the context of a Hemlock command is no longer working.

I started looking through the commit log (hooray git!) and found this:

commit 70dac57d412f3952771a42884511ce9ae32d1006
Author: Bill St. Clair <wws at clozure.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 1 15:31:53 2015 +0000

    Radically speed up IDE listener output and make it interruptible.

    The IDE listener output is now double-buffered. Printing threads fill
    one buffer, and the GUI thread empties the other.

    To avoid me having to hurt my brain preventing deadlock, output from
    the GUI thread to an IDE listener is dropped on the floor; you'll
    never see it. Since it's unusual to output from the GUI thread to an
    IDE listener (the default is the AltConsole, or, if you started CCL
    from a command-line shell, that shell), this shouldn't be a practical
    problem.

    Fixes #1307.

Which is awesome because 1307 was also driving me nuts, but I think this may have broken *echo-expression-to-listener*.

Is there no way to have our cake and eat it too?

rg