[Openmcl-devel] talk on CCL

Craig Lanning craig.t.lanning at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 17:32:47 PST 2019

Matt,

I just watched your talk about CCL at the European Lisp Symposium in
2018.  It was very good. I, too, like Common Lisp. I also like the Lisp
Machine (which is Zetalisp and not Common Lisp). I used Common Lisp to
write a tool for people that are developing ISO 10303 standards. I
would compile it using SBCL, Clozure CL, and LispWorks CL (since I had
a copy). It was interesting because each Lisp would help show up
different issues. We rarely delivered the product using Clozure CL
because it would was too slow when running the code. I figured out that
the problem was that Clozure CL spent too much time running the GC and
I didn't know what options I had for getting it to work better. The
SBCL compiled application might take 15 minutes to run, but the Clozure
CL compiled application would take at least 30 minutes. Some tasks I
set my application to would take several hours (sometimes days) with
Clozure CL.

On a lighter note, one of the guys at Boeing downloaded our source code
and compiled the application on ARM64 (I think using SBCL) so that it
could run on one of their tablets. It worked flawlessly. The power of
Common Lisp.

One of the other users was using a Mac so he would compile it for the
Mac. We had versions of the app compiled on Linux, Windows, and the
Mac.

Common Lisp allowed us to deliver on multiple platforms using a single
copy of the source.

The application is called Express Engine and is hosted on
SourceForge.net at https://sourceforge.net/projects/exp-engine/

I'm still working on the CLIM to run on Clozure CL. I got it to
compile, but it only has the CLX backend, so it needs an X11 server to
display. I can run it on Linux, but it still needs some work. Some of
the buttons are unreadable. Since Clozure CL has examples for GTK2,
Cocoa, and Win32, I thought that Clozure CL might me a good platform to
run CLIM using the native toolkits as the backend.

Craig