[Openmcl-devel] CCL on Apple Silicon

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sun Apr 7 08:50:23 PDT 2024

CCL does run on Apple silicon under Rosetta 2.  It's just not reliable; it crashes occasionally.  But it will run long enough between crashes to be useful for some tasks.

There is also an effort underway to do a native Apple silicon port.  The jury is still out regarding if and when it will be complete, but it's still a very real possibility within the next year or two, which is to say, within the supported lifetime of Intel Macs.  So while it is definitely a risk, sticking with CCL is not necessarily a dead end yet.

Personally I do my development on a screen-shared Intel Mac Mini, and I too have been exploring SBCL.  SBCL itself is not too bad, but find that I really really miss the CCL IDE.  Emacs and slime are just not the same.

rg