[Openmcl-devel] automatic build & test on pull requests

Nicolas Martyanoff nicolas at n16f.net
Wed Apr 24 01:00:21 PDT 2024

"R. Matthew Emerson" <rme at clozure.com> writes:

> I recently added a GitHub workflow named “Build and test” in the
> https://github.com/Clozure/ccl repository.
>
> This is supposed to run automatically on pull requests. I’m starting
> out with Linux only, since it’s the fastest and cheapest GitHub runner
> platform.
>
> I’m not an expert on GitHub Actions, so I’d be happy to learn about
> doing things better, or to get help from someone who is good at this
> stuff.
>
> The workflow file is
> https://github.com/Clozure/ccl/blob/master/.github/workflows/build-linux.yml

This seems quite reasonable to me. You may want to use a fixed version
number for the binaries you download and use to avoid surprises in the
future if "latest" changes. Also when using Curl in scripts, -sSfL is
usually what you want (be silent but still report errors, return a
non-zero exit code on failure, follow redirections).

Best,

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
https://n16f.net