[Openmcl-devel] packagers of CCL

Andrey G. Grozin A.G.Grozin at inp.nsk.su
Mon Apr 29 23:07:31 PDT 2024

On Mon, 29 Apr 2024, R. Matthew Emerson wrote:
> Are any readers are involved in packaging CCL (for Homebrew, MacPorts, various Linux distributions, whatever)?
> If there are reasonable things that I could do with CCL to make that packaging effort easier, won’t you please get in touch?
I'm the packager of ccl for Gentoo Linux. Gentoo is a source-based distro,
each user compiles all packages on his/her own computer using ebuilds
(bash scripts written according to some strict rules). In the case of ccl,
both the source tarball and the binary one are downloaded, the binary is
used to compile the source, and the result is installed.This is not very
difficult.

I have just one critical comment. If the USE flag "doc" is set, the ebuild
also downloads and installs https://ccl.clozure.com/docs/ccl.html. And
this file name is unversioned. It can silently change at any moment. If
this happens, all users wanting to install ccl (with USE=doc) will find
that this file's checksum differs from the one recorded in the
corresponding Gentoo database, and the installation process will fail. It
would be much better if this file were named not ccl.html but
ccl-1.12.2.html, and it won't change during the lifespan of the version
1.12.2.

Andrey