[info-mcl] Quicklisp in MCL (was Re: RMCL 6.0 with ASDF)

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Fri Sep 1 23:55:50 UTC 2017

On Aug 29, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Chun Tian (binghe) <binghe.lisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't see any hope to use Quicklisp directly in MCL,

Why not? It seems feasible to get the latest ASDF working again, since your RMCL 6.0 has a working ASDF to start from.

I did some hacking to try to get the Quicklisp bootstrap working in MCL 5.1 and only ran into one real issue, where minitar was extracting files with slashes in the name instead of directories: https://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-bootstrap/issues/17 <https://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-bootstrap/issues/17>

I got the bootstrap working mainly by using #+mcl and #-mcl to conditionalize the CCL support, and I think there was one thing I had to tweak in 5.1 in the defpackage call because MCL didn’t support one option.

I had to do a little more in MCL 3.4, since there were a couple of issues with using its binary TCP binary stream but those should probably be patches to MCL 3.4 since they just seemed like implementation bugs… Of course, I need to figure out how to make and use MCL patches, but how hard could that be? :)

  -- Chris