[Openmcl-devel] Documentation and Arglist

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Dec 17 14:06:57 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 11:23 PM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
> > Basically, you set CCL:*FASL-SAVE-LOCAL-SYMBOLS* (and perhaps
> > CCL:*SAVE-LOCAL-SYMBOLS*) to T (likewise for the doc string variables,
> > I -think-), then do:
> >
> > ? (compile-ccl t)
> >
> > and
> >
> > ? (xload-level-0)
> >

> I can't make this work:

Sorry.  Because of the way in which the bootstrapping image is
built, the debugging information not only doesn't work, it seems to
confuse that process.

So (I actually tried this this time ...):

1) With debugging switches turned off (e.g., as OpenMCL is
distributed) do:

? (xload-level-0 :force)

That'll force recompilation of the source files in "ccl:level-0;**;*.lisp"
and "load" them into a new "ccl:ppc-boot[.image]" file.

2) Enable the debugging switches as you tried:

> ? (setf  *save-doc-strings* t
>         *save-local-symbols* t
>         *save-definitions* t
>         *fasl-save-doc-strings* t
>         *fasl-save-local-symbols* t
>         *fasl-save-definitions* t)

and recompile everything -but- what's in the level-0 directory
> ? (compile-ccl t)
> ;Compiling "/Users/sven/apps/ccl/compiler/nxenv.lisp"...
> ;Compiling "/Users/sven/apps/ccl/lib/describe.lisp"...
> ;Compiler warnings for "/Users/sven/apps/ccl/lib/describe.lisp" :
> ;   Undefined function INSPECTOR::DISASSEMBLY-COMMENT-TYPE, in
> INSPECTOR::DISASSEMBLY-LINE-N.
> ?

3) Now, we have the level-0 sources compiled with debugging info
disabled and everything else compiled with it enabled.  Build an
image.

% ./dppccl ppc-boot.image      # or % ./ppccl ppc-boot for Linux.
[...]
?

4) At this point, the debugging flags are all off (unless you edited
their definitions before doing the COMPILE-CCL above.)  You may want
to turn them all back on.  (The variables were all T when you compiled
the files that were just loaded; loading those files set them back
to NIL, probably.)

Then save an image.

5) Try it out:
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.2!
? (arglist 'delete-if-not)
(CCL::TEST SEQUENCE &KEY CCL::FROM-END CCL::START CCL::END COUNT CCL::KEY)
:DEFINITION
?

(Well, ILISP makes it look nicer ...)

Someone reported the problem with building level-0 with debugging info
enabled a long time ago; it's probably not too hard to fix, but I haven't
really looked into it.

In the meantime, the procedure outlined above -does- work to get debugging
info (such as it is) for everything else.