[Openmcl-devel] shared libs on Darwin

Michael Klingbeil michael at klingbeil.com
Mon Jul 1 00:51:52 PDT 2002

Clearly this is a bit more complicated than I originally thought.
Your detailed message was elucidating. I spent some time looking
through ccl:level-0;l0-cfm-support.lisp to really try to understand
the whole thing (which I have probably only partially succeeded at
doing!).

I'm not yet sure about this, but it seems to me that walking the
internal _dl_loaded (or its Darwin equivalent) may not be entirely
necessary. Yes it is nice to have knowledge of other libs that were
loaded due to external references, but is that really needed as long
as we know about all of the libraries immediately referenced by the
*eeps* table? In this case unloading would only be possible on those
libraries within the internal *shared-libraries* table, but perhaps
that is not too much of a restriction (especially since unload is
only possible for Darwin modules). Similarly, for
refresh-external-entrypoints, reopening everything on
*shared-libraries* should give all of externally referenced libraries
that are needed. (And I notice that revive-shared-libraries ends up
calling xGetSharedLibrary anyway...). But probably there are
additional things I'm missing.

Currently I think resolve-eep expects that if xFindSymbol succeeds
then the library is already in *shared-libraries* (since this is
always kept synchronized with the _dl_loaded list). But it should be
possible to simply walk *shared-libraries*, and if the library
implementing the symbol in question is not found, simply add it to
*shared-libraries*. NSModuleForSymbol seems to be the closest thing
to dladdr, and I'm not sure this is quite the right thing so this
might need to be rethought as well. Dealing with .dylibs and versus
modules seems to be another confusion.

>Note that it's currently possible to open a .dylib via (of all things)
>CCL::OPEN-DYLIB.  (In cases where I've used this, I've gotten runtime
>warnings from malloc() on attempts to open a .dylib that's already open.)

I wonder if it is possible to avoid the runtime warnings by first
calling NSAddImage with the flag
NSADDIMAGE_OPTION_RETURN_ONLY_IF_LOADED. If NSAddImage returns NULL
then call NSAddImage again to actually load the dylib. Something like
this (untested):

(defun open-dylib (name)
   (with-cstrs ((name name))
     (let ((res (#_NSAddImage name (logior #$NSADDIMAGE_OPTION_RETURN_ON_ERROR
                                           #$NSADDIMAGE_OPTION_WITH_SEARCHING

#$NSADDIMAGE_OPTION_RETURN_ONLY_IF_LOADED))))
       (if (%null-ptr-p res)