[Openmcl-devel] Problems with RUN-PROGRAM

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 19 07:18:11 PST 2002

> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:39:04 -0700 (MST)
> From: Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com>
> cc: <openmcl-devel at clozure.com>
>

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Marco Antoniotti wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >
> > OS X 10.2 Jaguar.
> >
> > ? (run-program "ls" ())
> > #<EXTERNAL-PROCESS [552] (EXITED : 0) #x5398B7E>
> > ? (run-program "ls" () :output *standard-output*)
> >

> Somewhat questionably, RUN-PROGRAM's OUTPUT keyword arg defaults to
> NIL, which causes any output from the EXTERNAL-PROCESS to be discarded;
> it's necessary to say something like:
>
> ? (run-program "ls" () :output t)
>
> to get "ls"'s output sent to the listener.  ":OUTPUT T" would probably
> be a more reasonable default; I believe that it's at least behaving
> as documented.

I confirm that ` :output T ' works as expected (i.e. it does).

> > ... hangs or displays funky error message (like "Unbound Variable
> > \<?>").
> >
> > Any clues about why this would be failing?
> >

> There's a usually-dormant lisp thread that's supposed to wake up
> whenever an EXTERNAL-PROCESS is created and is supposed to stay
> awake as long as some EXTERNAL-PROCESS has pending I/O or unresolved
> exit status.
>
> There was a bug in 0.13 whereby that lisp thread went back to sleep
> too early; that could explain hanging and other funkiness.  That
> was supposed to have been fixed in 0.13.1, and I can't reproduce the
> bug with that fix in place.
>
> If you're running 0.13.1 and still see this, I'm puzzled.  If you
> can get to a break loop when it's hung, are either of the variables
> CCL::*EXTERNAL-PROCESSES* or CCL::*WATCHED-FD-HANDLERS* non-NIL ?
> (The "watchdog" thread is supposed to stay awake if so.)

I am running 0.13. The call is

  (run-process "ls" () :output *standard-output*)

it hangs, I hit C-c and get to the break loop.
CCL::*EXTERNAL-PROCESSES* is NIL and  CCL::*WATCHED-FD-HANDLERS* is
unbound.

I'll upgrade to the latest version.

Cheers

--
715 Broadway 10th Floor                 fax  +1 - 212 - 995 4122
                    "Hello New York! We'll do what we can!"