[Openmcl-devel] *readtable* and break loop

Ben Hyde bhyde at pobox.com
Thu Sep 19 10:09:50 PDT 2002

Gary Byers wrote:
 > > While it's amusing for a moment or two to discover that #\: has
 > > been given a unique semantics in the break loop you've just
 > > fallen into the joke get's old quickly.
 >
 > ...  Could you please explain ...

?
? (function-that-does-many-neat-things-including-parsing-xml)
> Error: BAD-THING
>        Yo your XML is bizzare!
> While executing: DEEP-THOUGHT::SERIOUS-INTERNAL-FUNCTION
> Type :POP to abort.
Type :? for other options.
1 > :pop
":pop"
1 > :b
":b"
1 >

In this situation the xml parser bound *readtable* to something
that treats #\: in that delightful way.  Clever parser.

I appreciate the other points you made - so I asked rather than just
submit a patch.  A casual glance in google for *readtable* and break
suggests that some implementations have a global to toggle the behavior
when entering a break-loop in and around the *readtable*.

Personally I can live with the current behavior, I'll just avoid having
bogus XML :-).

 - ben